martes, 30 de mayo de 2017

TIME FOR CHANGE

I have used this blog as a learning tool through my journey in Nursing.
I remember wearing my uniform with pride, feeling so lucky because I was working in something that I loved.

But the uniform started to get heavier, the time spent with the patients decreased dramatically while paperwork, recording to "cover your back" or "signing for your life" took over. It makes you feel like the patients are your "enemies" and everybody is waiting for that mistake that you are going to make that will destroy your career, your life.

I am the kind of nurse that cares, that does all the training available and goes an extra mile for her patients, but it is not fair, what you are giving, for what you are getting.

The tolerated and systematic abuse from some patients and families, the long hours without food, breaks or without going to the bathroom, the dangerous short staffing levels, the unreal expectations and responsibility, the poor pay for the essential and hard job that nurses and carers do on a daily basis... these are just some of the reasons why I have decided to take a step back, a break, from Nursing. 


Weekends off, your family and friends, and your own health become difficult or even impossible to maintain. Doing further studies while working... well, you can imagine.

A profession so admirable, recognized by none but blamed by all when things go wrong. I just do not have the strength anymore, and its painful, and I am sorry.

To all the health care professionals that have ever worked with me, thank you, I have learned from each and every one of you, we have shared our passion for the job and supported each other, I will always look up to you.

To all the ones that I have treated, admitted, informed and a long etc, I hope you noticed my devotion and believe me when I say that I truly did my best.


To all the nurses and carers, I hope your job, our job, gets properly recognized and rewarded one day. You are super humans, and the last remains of humanity and compassion in a world that 
sometimes seems to have lost its way.

  • The human right to health guarantees a system of health protection for all.
  • Everyone has the right to the health care they need, and to living conditions that enable us to be healthy, such as adequate food, housing, and a healthy environment.
  • Health care must be provided as a public good for all, financed publicly and equitably.

This is not a goodbye, it is a see you later Nursing.


Antia Veiga Feijoo
Staff Nurse


Resources:
-Research papers can be found in Google Scholar.
-http://news.sky.com/story/nurse-went-home-and-cried-because-she-could-not-find-bed-for-99-year-old-10724912
-https://radio.rte.ie/radio1highlights/i-nurses-crying-literally-crying-last-several-days/



No hay comentarios: